It’s officially been two weeks that I have managed to keep my husband and daughter on a vegan/plant based diet. Not only am I ridiculously proud of them for being on board, but I am so excited for this to just become their normal.
So many people are sour faced when the word vegan or plant based comes to mouth. But before you knock it, TRY IT!
My husband is one of the most stubborn people when it comes to his food. The consistency and how it visual for him is so impactful that he almost didn’t even drink the smoothie this morning. He said, “Babe, that looks like sludge.” I just laughed and said, “Drink up sweetheart.” He knows I have his best interest. Ha ha. Wife life!
For me personally I feel like breakfast is the most important meal of the day, because it literally sets you up for what I like to call, your go-go fuel.
If you don’t get your go-go fuel, your body reliance to not having what it needs. Allowing you to become sluggish, moody or even feel sick from not getting enough calorie fuel. Which I am sure everyone knows that we need food to go.
Well ever since switching the whole family’s diet and not just my own, it’s been tough to cater to everyone’s taste buds. I am a person who just loves earth and the flavors of foods it offers. My husband and daughter on the other hand are not huge fans, so I have really had to be creative or mask a lot of textures with condiments. It’s working so I’ll take it.
Since I believe breakfast is so important I knew I had to have some recipes to offer that they would find familiar and tasty at the same time. You’d be incredibly surprised at how little change there is in a vegan pancake vs a non-vegan one. I’m also sure there are loads of ways to be versatile for substitutes and create different flavors, but with these I chose just a simple vanilla flavored pancake. Keep it simple and basic for the picky eaters.
First thing you are going to want to do is get all of your ingredients together. I find that this makes things a lot easier.
This is what you will need:
- 1 cup flour (I used all purpose)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (I used fine sea salt)
- 1 cup non dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter (I used a plant based butter)
- 1.5 tsp vanilla (use any type you’d like for flavoring)
How to make:
- Start with mixing your flour, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Then add in the milk, butter and vanilla.
- Try to not over-mix, there will be tiny lumps.
- Heat up your non-stick pan on medium heat. I like to add a tsp of plant based butter to add some brown/crisp on the pancake.
- 1/4 cup per pancake is what I did and let them cook for 3-4 minutes before flipping. You want them to bubble a tad on top and be golden brown.
- Once you flip, remove after 2-3 minutes.
Dress with your favorite syrup, nut butter and even sprinkle some powdered sugar on top if you like! Fruit always adds a nice fresh touch also.