It’s been awhile since I had made homemade cookies. I’ve been focused on trying new things and making new concoctions, which is amazing and fun. But it’s important to keep those staples around such as chocolate chip cookies. Once every couple weeks is rather sufficient for us nowadays.
This recipe was inspired by cornstarch. I know what you are probably like, what the heck?!
Okay I have fallen in love with cornstarch since switching to a vegan/plant based diet. It literally allows magic to happen every time I use it.
There is a consistency with corn starch that reminds me of talc. It feels like a soft sand when I close my eyes and rub it on my hands or finger tips. I wanted to give it that crumble texture and still a formable consistency.
Lately it has been a favorite thing of mine to always have treats on the cake dish. Even if that means healthy, nutrition dense snack bars or a sweet treat like chocolate chips cookies.
A couple things about the cookies:
- Make sure you preheat your oven FIRST before you even start anything.
- If you use dark chocolate, I HIGHLY encourage the MORSELS. It makes for an incredible gooey cookie!
- Don’t skip the parchment paper. It really allows the cookie to not over brown on the bottoms.
- I’d stick to a nut based milk, but you are the baker. Try the oat milk!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 TBSP GROUND flax seed.
- 2.5 TBSP water.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) PLANT BASED OR VEGAN butter.
- 1.25 cups Brown sugar.
- 2 TSP vanilla extract.
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour.
- 2 TSP CORNSTARCH.
- 1 TSP baking soda.
- .25 TSP salt.
- 1.5 cup NON dairy chocolate chips. ENCOURAGE MORSELS.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Take your 1 tbsp ground flax and 2.5 tbsp water, combine and set aside to allow consistency to form. (Egg replacement)
- Get a medium size Mixing bowl, take your room temperature butter and brown sugar, combine until smooth. It’s important the butter is room temperature so it doesn’t stick to your mixer. Trust me.
- Now add your flax egg and vanilla to the butter/sugar mixture. Combine well.
- Get your flour and pour over the wet mixture. Leave it and put add the baking soda, salt and cornstarch on top of the flour. Then combine and mix. This is where you will start to see the crumble mixture take place. This is normal and what you want.
- Now add your 1.5 cups of chips and mix.
- Roll into balls in the size of about 2 tbsp. DO NOT flatten or you will lose that airy/gooey mound.
- Bake at 325 for 12 minutes exactly.